Aluminum has many advantages when compared to other boat building materials such as:
- Relatively high strength to weight ratio
- Does not rot, chip, or rust
- Does not soak up water
- Ease of customization
- Very durable and resistant to impact damage
- Paint required only for cosmetics or antifouling
- Ease of repair
- Minimal maintenance required
- Does not present environmental challenges at the eventual time of disposal. Aluminum can be recycled
While the cost of the hull and structure can be higher than some other boat building materials, this only represents a portion of the overall cost of the vessel when propulsion, electronics and outfitting are included.
Aluminum is particularly well suited for applications where durability and performance are important requirements.